Monday, June 6, 2016

SAUCE THAT ROCKS!!!!!

Today I finally got a sauce from scratch that I thought was a winner. I am tired of trying sauces from a jar. They are packed with preservatives and I want to feed my family food that is fresh. For the past couple of months, I've tried about a dozen different recipes to find a taste that I thought was authentic, simple, and genuinely bangin. Well, welcome to "La Salsa de pescao"

The ingredients are pretty easy:

The material (LOL)

  • 1/4 cup onions
  • 1/4 cup celery
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 5 leaves of fresh basil
  • 1/8 cup of fresh parsley
  • 1 jar of mutti tomato puree
  • 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
  • salt to taste

The hand to hand (LOL) Get a saucepan and throw in the avocado oil. Wait until its hot ( med to high heat) and throw in the onions. Sweat them for about 5 mins and then throw in the celery and cook for another 5. After that, throw in the garlic and cook for two mins. You are stirring all of this. If anything starts browning,  lower the heat and remove the pan until it cools down.

Now, once everything looks soft  to the touch, throw in the tomato puree and place it on low heat. Cook it until its about a sauce/ thick texture. Add the basil and let it cook for another 12 mins. Once  it looks dryish, you are good.

Remember that when you are using this for pasta sauce, throw the pasta into it and use some of the starch water to thin out the sauce.

I was actually giddy when I tasted the sauce. I've tried everything and I was kinda bummed out after failure via failure. I've come to realize that I am my worst critic. Shit, I cook lunch and dinner yesterday for Ellie's best friend and I bombed the fuck out of lunch.  It tasted more like the ocean then a stir fry. I used braggs liquid amino acid (a soy sauce alternative) and I went over board.

So here I am, ready to get redemption of a fucked up mofongo and a stir fry that tasted like Orchard beach.

In the meantime, love this sauce I made. If you don't like it, pues, whatever.




1 comment: